Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tense Recruiting Day Yields Commitment For KU

Jamari Traylor, a three-star forward according to Rivals.com, chose Kansas instead of Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Indiana.
Jamari Traylor, a three-star forward




Five-star forward DeAndre Daniels delayed his selection an additional day, towards the surprise of no one who has followed his lengthy recruiting saga. Daniels, ranked No. ten in the 2011 class by Rivals.com, is scheduled to pick out among KU and Texas this morning, just after the spring signing period ends.

KU got clarity on two other recruiting battles, signing three-star forward Jamari Traylor, Daniels' teammate at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. Five-star guard Trevor Lacey, a different KU target, committed to Alabama.

Traylor, a 6-foot-7 forward, chose the Jayhawks instead of Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Indiana. He could be the fourth member of KU's 2011 recruiting class, joining point guard Naadir Tharpe, shooting guard Ben McLemore and power forward Braeden Anderson.

"I seriously really feel Jamari could possibly be a sleeper that everyone will say, 'Where did you get him?' a couple years from now, in a comparable way they did the Morris twins," KU coach Bill Self said. "He's really young basketball-wise. He's a sponge and desires to understand. I seriously feel he's going to get great, fast."

Forwards Marcus and Markieff Morris declared for the NBA draft following their junior seasons, leaving Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey as KU's only returning post players. Minutes is going to be readily available in the frontcourt, a element that contributed to Traylor's selection.

"If I go in and play very difficult and really make an effort to prove myself, I know I can play instantly," said Traylor, who averaged 20 points and 12 rebounds as a high school senior.

IMG director Andy Borman stated Traylor could be the most beneficial pure athlete in the 2011 class, citing his capacity to play about the rim. Traylor, who has played 3 years of organized basketball, will look to polish his skills at KU.

"I know I can match guys on the physical level, but I genuinely want to work on my expertise as far as my ballhandling," stated Traylor, a energy forward ranked No. 141 in his class by Rivals. "I know I can knock down the midrange shot, know I can step out and shoot."

For KU, the bigger questions pertain to Daniels. If familiarity matters, the Jayhawks must have an edge; Daniels was a teammate of Traylor and walk-on Christian Garrett at IMG.

Traylor stated he is close to Daniels but supplied no hints about Thursday's decision.

"We cool," he mentioned, "but when I'm with DeAndre, I do not actually need to discuss school."

Wednesday would be the final day with the spring signing period. Players who miss the deadline for National Letters of Intent can sign nonbinding financial aid agreements

Tense Recruiting Day Yields Commitment For KU

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mildred Patricia Baena