Monday, May 23, 2011

De La Hoya’s Rehab Stint Shocks Some Inside The Boxing Planet

De La Hoya’s Rehab Stint Shocks Some Inside The Boxing Planet
De La Hoya’s Rehab Stint Shocks Some Inside The Boxing Planet


Quite a few boxing legends with the last 15 years had been inside the news this weekend, however it was a mixed bag for Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Jr. and Oscar De La Hoya.

Hopkins, 46, became the oldest man in boxing background to win a legitimate world title when Jones, 42, was knocked out badly in Russia. The youngest of the 3, De La Hoya, retired and struggling with problems away from the ring, checked himself into rehab. It's still unknown what sort of addiction De La Hoya, 38, is battling.

He issued this statement as a result of Golden Boy Promotions

"After undertaking an honest evaluation of myself, I recognize that you will discover particular issues that I have to have to work on. Like all of us, I've my flaws, and I do not prefer to be a single of these people that is afraid to admit and address those flaws.

"Throughout my profession and my life, I have usually met all challenges head-on, and this really is no different. I'm confident that with the support of my loved ones and buddies, I will grow to be a stronger, healthier person.

"I ask for respect and privacy as my family members and I go via this process."

The six-time world champion didn't attend Golden Boy's Hopkins-Jean Pascal fight card in Montreal.

His former promoter Todd duBoef with Best Rank Promotions was caught off guard.

"I had no idea," duBoef told the Las Vegas-Review Journal. "When I heard the news, I was stunned. Definitely, you hope he can get by way of what ever it can be he's coping with and that he comes out of it properly."

Freddie Roach, a former De La Hoya trainer, was also stunned.

"I was kind of shocked," Roach mentioned. "But people go by things in life. I hope he gets nicely soon."

De La Hoya retired in April of 2009 and final fought in Dec. of 2008. He lost badly in that final bout against Manny Pacquaio. Pacman's conditioning coach Alex Ariza pointed to the way he went out as a doable cause for De La Hoya's struggles.

"I feel it does for the reason that you feel back on it and quite possibly said, `I need to have done factors this way. I must have completed factors differently," Ariza told GMANews. "I'm certain, there was plenty of doubt and questions, becoming the athlete that he was. I'm sure he is such a competitor. I believe it really is one of these issues that he is almost certainly questioning himself. You'll find loads of variables, and I assume the competitor in him is normally going to be like that.

De La Hoya’s Rehab Stint Shocks Some Inside The Boxing Planet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mildred Patricia Baena