Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Interview with 'One Tree Hill' Star Robert Buckley

One Tree Hill In
One Tree Hill In



I don't know about the rest of you One Tree Hill fans, but I almost died waiting to find out if the show got picked up for a season 9 and... Woo hoo! It got picked up for 13 episodes! And after seeing how much you guys responded to my inteview with ShantelVanSanten (Quinn), I knew I just had to talk to her partner-in-crime, Robert Buckley. He's handsome. He's funny. And damn, he's responsible for transitioning Clay from a Tree Hill newbie to an amazing character we all came to adore. That's not exactly easy for an actor!

Rob and I chatted about the tonight's finale, next season, his friendship with Shantel, rapping and a whole bunch of other awesome stuff. I dare say it was my favorite interview ever. Not only did he have me cracking up the entire time, but he was super charming and gave great answers!

Note: I interviewed Rob literally an hour before the renewal was announced (seriously, an hour!), so you'll notice that we are still speculating.

Enjoy! And be sure to tune into the season finale tonight at 8 p.m. on The CW!

Also, check back later this week for my interviews with his costars Kate Voegele and Jackson Brundage!



...

Hi Rob. How are you?

I’m doing well, how about yourself?

Good. Thank you for talking with me today.

Yeah. It’s my pleasure.

So let’s talk about tonight. What can we expect from the season finale?

Hmm, the killer opening sequence followed by the show's theme song with a new artist, probably some title credits (laughs). No. They’ve got me pretty tight lipped on how much I can give away. But I have to say, I don’t know how much of it is going to be the episode that I know or if they’re going to change the ending to make it more of a series finale.

Right. And we officially don’t know anything yet as of now? Is that right?

Yes exactly. We’ve heard nothing. So, you know, I’m pretty much in the same boat as a lot of the fans. I don’t know, really what is going to be the ending.

Do you think that fans either way will be happy with Clay and Quinn's ending?

I do.

OK... You really can’t say anything about it, can you? (laughs)

Well (laughs), it's also very relative. I’m on Twitter now and a lot of our fans are on Twitter as well and I hear what a lot of people want. Like, some people just want to see Clay and Quinn happy. Like, they won’t be happy until Clay and Quinn have a handful of babies. A clan of ‘Clinns’, if you will. You know, I think it’s a bit relative, but overall I was very satisfied with how they wanted to wrap up the season and I’m a big fan of Clay and Quinn, so I think the fans will be happy.

Great. Yeah, I've talked to Shantel and she said the same thing.  She also told us that you guys are best friends. Do you have any good Shantel stories to tell us?

Oh my gosh. Let’s see, what’s appropriate for print (laughs). No, no, I’m kidding. We had a really good time. We got thrown into it together obviously. We started in season 7 and it was not just starting a new job, but joining a show that is already successful, seriously, is like going to a new high school senior year. It’s not even like, am I going to find a prom date? It’s like, am I even going to fit in here? And, so her and I were in the same boat, living in Wilmington. So it was kind of like, we’re either going to sink or swim together so we might as well be, you know, pals. And we ended up having a really good time. Hopefully it comes across on the screen, but I think, for example, this season’s gag reel, I just saw the other day and there’s two really good moments in there of the two of us where you can see we’re complete, just goofballs around each other.

Haha. Cool! So, if the show doesn’t get picked up, do you have any plans? Or are you just sort of waiting?

Yeah, I’ll probably be moving back here to my parents’ basement. There’s a futon with my name on it (laughs). No, I don’t right now, because the truth is, my hope is that the show comes back. I have a great time doing it, so I’m really not trying to hedge my bets, I’m just seeing what happens with the show so if it comes back, great. If it doesnt, look and see what’s out there.




Will you miss Wilmington?

Yeah, absolutely. You know, it’s a great town and I’ve made some really good friends there. I was just talking about that with a good buddy of mine yesterday. I was like, “Man, there are a lot of reasons I hope the show comes back that are related to the show, but aside from that, it would be a bummer." Like, I would have to fly out to see my family and friends that I’ve made, like what, once, maybe twice a year? That part would be kind of crummy.

Definitely. So which episode would you say is your favorite?

That’s a good question. Actually, I really enjoyed shooting [episode] 21. That was last week's episode. There’s more drama than there is laugh-out-loud funny moments on the show, and I’m by nature, very silly and nonsensical, so for me it was just like coming home to be silly. And you know, I was essentially yelling at a bunch of 7 to 10-year-olds that like speed through a baseball game. So Mark Schwahn wrote and shot the episode, and he sort of let me off the leash. He was like, "Just go. Play. Here’s a handful of takes, have them." And it was so much fun. And I actually haven’t even seen the episode yet. It’s on my Tivo, but that was a blast. Then at the end when it was just James, Austin and Eric McIntire. You know that scene on the bridge was a lot of fun actually. A little bit of a grueling day, but that was just a blast, just anytime you get to do action or comedy, for me, it was a great time.

So you weren’t at all sad that you didn’t get to go to Puerto Rico with the girls?

No, I wasn’t at all, actually (laughs). Truth be told when they said they were going to Puerto Rico, I was like, “Have a wonderful time.” It wasn’t like last season when we were going to be going out to Utah, when I was like, "I’m going, right?" You know? Puerto Rico, I was like wait, "The guys are staying here? Sweet." I’ll wear the Brian Boitano shirt if you let me stay and they held me to it.

Haha. I don’t know if you watched it, but Sophia [Bush] was on MTV and she said that you randomly break out into raps. Is that true?

I heard about the thing that Soph did. I haven’t seen it yet, but I heard about it from other people. What was the program she was on?

Ah, I forget. It was like Top 10 or something? Yeah, she said something like, "Rob’s kind of weird. He randomly starts rapping. It’s pretty funny."

Yeah, she hit the nail on the head.
Yeah, I believe Shantal mentioned the identical point about your goofy behavior. Is there anything distinct that you just rap about?

Oh boy, I’m quite stream of consciousness. I am an equal chance rapper so whether its how delicious the craft service is the fact that day or how terrible I’m doing in a scene, what ever it is, I will freestyle about it. Since like, why say some elements after you could rap about it?

That's excellent (laughs).

There was an incredible line truly, once again in [episode] 21. A single thing that our writers and Mark Schwahn do seriously nicely is that they write the actor straight, and they write the stuff that they know the actors will respond to. Occasionally that is really heavy stuff, in some cases its seriously stupid stuff, but one that holds accurate is I'm seriously silly. Like, pretty, very goofy and on set that comes out inside a massive way. So there’s a scene exactly where Nathan and I are talking, I’m inside a chair at my apartment, and he’s like, “You’re weird.” And I think I say, “You’re just now noticing that? Like, yeah, I’m a weird guy, I’m an odd duck." I’ve most likely said that on a bi-weekly basis, I'd say.

Yeah, and Clay started out off the show as a way distinctive character than he is now. Is it far more pleasant playing him now than it was two years ago?

Ah boy, that’s difficult. There are actually challenges and enjoyable parts to each of them. It is been incredibly cool the way it's evolved in that... you realize after you make a brand new buddy? You don't necessarily let your guard up, but its not every one of the way down. Kind of like when you are dating somebody new and you’re such as the most effective version of oneself for the first 3 months. And you’re like, "Oh, you are going to keep for a though? Here’s the way I definitely am." And like, the socks are on the floor along with the milk is left open. With Clay, you just saw his external struggles, you saw some of his internal struggles, but we didn’t actually get into the minutia of who Clay is when he’s by himself. What’s this guy like on a Wednesday? What’s he like? And now it’s sort of cool to view. And with Quinn also. These two people, they’re variety of children at heart. They wish to be loved and then they’re very silly and goofy. She’s singing about toaster strudel and Clay is dancing like he's Footloose devoid of rhythm or shame.

Haha. Yes, it is a lot far more evident now as to why they’re collectively.

Yeah, what’s seriously funny about that is certainly, as a viewer, you see lots of that taking place separate from each other and then you see them with each other seriously acquiring along. And if you pay attention, the reason we perform so very well, like when we’re witnessed on the couch enjoying each other, it type of goes back to the reality that if you see them apart, they’re rather a lot doing the precise very same point.

That’s so correct!

There may very well be a scene of Clay and Quinn at the table, and they will be like, “Hey babe, what did you do now?” I'd be like, “Oh, I danced for a although by myself to, you understand, embarrassing music. And then Nate walked in." And it’ll be like “What did you do?” And she’s like, “Oh, I sang regarding the pastry I was consuming after which Haley walked in." And it will be like, “Oh, that’s appropriate. We have no shame and we're embarrassing." You realize what I mean?

Totally. Wait, so you brought up dating. So I've to ask, do you may have a girlfriend?

Ohhhh Sharon.

You did it! I mean, that was all you!

I have a tendency to maintain the questions about ladies as well as the really like life and dating at bay.

Note: Sorry, ladies I attempted! Haha.

Fair sufficient. So Hilarie and Chad have each expressed interest in coming back. Would you like to see that occur?

Yeah, I think that could be awesome. They were such great characters. Both of them as actors did great work. So I believe it would be great. But here’s the issue: I feel soon after a short time period, it’s not entertaining to watch folks gaining along and just possessing a superb life. You may need to mix it up. And so whether or not that’s bringing inside a couple of new characters to shake elements up or kind of putting individuals by a conflict or struggle, just adding extra elements to it, I consider is usually a superb thought to differ things. And I feel it will be good from a fan’s point of view and for the fans to view Lucas and Peyton come back. I feel that could be great for the show and I assume men and women would actually like to see that.

Absolutely. So, I asked men and women on Twitter for questions and they would like to know who your preferred couple is (aside from Clay and Quinn, of course). That's always a large debate.

Ohh boy. Yeah, well just…there’s items that like… OK. Miss Lauren and Skillz…

Oh, yeah? (laughs) That really appears like a left field answer!

Properly, I gotta tell you, first of all, Allison [Munn] and Antwon [Tanner] are hilarious. I genuinely enjoy the heck out of both of them. And I assume on screen, they’re each just definitely funny. So they’re fun. You understand, I’m not going to provide you a satisfying answer for the reason that I can let you know why each couple... like, I like Brooke and Julian. Simply because Julian is like, such a great, sweet manchild. But he mans up, he saved lives like a hero 1 episode, and then in the next episode he’s chasing butterflies.

(Insert enormous laughter from me).

And Brooke... I could go on definitely, but Brooke’s wonderful and pretty, incredibly funny. And Haley and Nate naturally, they’re really... there is a soft spot in my heart mainly because, come on, "Claythan." I imply, come on, when you’re speaking about couples -- BROMANCE!

Haha. It seems you have a couple of bromances on the show now.

I do and I want to call a thing out for our fans, simply because there is a scene… oh boy. It was episode 17 or so where Clay, Nathan, Chase and Julian had been in the diner talking. And when you pay focus towards the episode, it sort of seems like the scene comes out of left field, simply because the episode is occurring and it just cuts to us talking like Sex and the City-style for four minutes. And it was such a funny thing to shoot since I've a crazy monologue about having smuggled cocaine… inside your butt. And we had so a lot fun shooting it and then The Soup ended up calling out the scene and sort of making enjoyable of it. And I was like, "Oh no, why is it…" It was [actually] for something smaller, like the way the waitress poured the ice tea.

But, I encourage any person who has the show Tivo'd or has it on DVD, go back and watch that scene, after which watch the really end of it. Stephen leaves after which James leaves, and it is just Austin and I sitting following to each other. And I do not know if it was the selection of the editor or the director, but he left like, three beneficial seconds of just he and I sitting there (laughs). And for those who watch, we undoubtedly have a moment. And there’s some thing taking place there -- we examine one another after which we both search away -- that I consider is so ambiguous that I couldn’t believe that no one known as consideration to it. No one made entertaining of it. Mainly because I watched it and I was like, "What just happened?" Like, we entirely just began a brand new relationship. What’s going on here? Are these two going to be dancing within the following scene? What’s happening? So, I assume Clay and Julian, we definitely possess a "Clulian" or one thing, but I believe we have yet another relationship taking place.

That’s fantastic. Perhaps they’ll save that for next season!

Yea, precisely, appropriate?

So is there something you need to say towards the fans? I'm know becoming 1 of them that 1 Tree Hill fans are super loyal.

You realize what, thank you. I’ve just been so pleasantly surprised, stunned and flattered and humbled at how much assistance and enjoy there's for the show on the market. I imply honestly, it really has just left me slack-jawed. There is people today from worldwide who're generating videos, sending stuff. So seriously, to every one of the fans, I just have such a great amount of appreciation and gratitude. And hopefully we are able to come back and give them an excellent ninth season, but if not, hopefully this will have already been very good as well as the finale tonight will leave them with warm fuzzies.

Warm Fuzzies. Haha! Wonderful. And will you be watching the finale tonight?

I may well be live tweeting tonight throughout the west coast feed of it. I did it final week on the east coast time, and it sucks simply because I’m tweeting and not recognizing what’s happening on the screen. But like I mentioned, the fans are good, so I like gaining on there and kind of mixing it up with them. So I’m going to attempt and be accessible for that tonight. And as quickly as I get word on the show, I’ll be letting absolutely everyone know on Twitter what the verdict is.

Yes. You have some definitely devoted Twitter accounts created just for you personally by your fans. I know they're actually excited about hearing from you.

That’s seriously cool.

Yeah! Well, thanks so much for chatting with me currently, Rob.

Thanks a lot!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mildred Patricia Baena